Type: Singer - Pianist
Jane enjoys a diverse career of performing and teaching. She has worked as an educator within Performing Arts for 30 years. Including redeveloping the Choral, and establishing the Musical Theatre Programmes at Takapuna Grammar School from 2007 - 2016, and Head of Performing Arts at Saint Kentigern College.
Jane has an extensive background in Musical Theatre as a performer, Vocal and Musical Director. This year she is the Vocal Director for AMICI’s production of Mary Poppins as well as playing the role ‘Bird Woman’. In the mid 90’s she toured NZ and Australia in Harry Miller’s production of Jesus Christ Superstar , and the NZ tour of Stetson Production’s Chess - the musical. Other roles include ‘Ellen’ in Miss Saigon, the ‘Witch’ in Into the Woods, ‘Mother’ in Ragtime, ‘Roxy’ in Chicago, ‘Dolly Levi’ in Hello Dolly, ‘Sheila in HAIR and ‘Mary’ in Jesus Christ Superstar.
In 2008 she won the NAPTA Award for best Female Actor in the role of ‘Sister Robert Anne’ in Nunsense and in 2019 was awarded a Scroll of Honour by the Variety Artists Club.
Jane is currently working as a freelance singing teacher, vocal coach and choir director, as well as performing. A highlight in her career has been singing with Auckland Swing Band, Prima Swing Riot since 1999.
Jane is available solo backing herself on keyboards or piano, as a duo with pianist Gemma Lee, or with full 3 to 5 piece band for dance events.
Ideal for: cameo performance of special song for wedding service, private party, or dance music (with band)
when required Jane performs with Pianist / Keyboard player Gemma Lee
Born in South Korea and raised in New Zealand, Gemma holds a Master of Music with First Class Honours from the University of Auckland. She has performed extensively in venues across the United Kingdom and Europe, including at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. As a collaborative pianist, Gemma has worked with numerous international talents, including mezzo-soprano Lucy Schaufer (USA), conductor Wyn Davies (UK), oboist Gordon Hunt (UK), director Sara Brodie (NZ), and writer Janice Galloway (UK). A resident of the North Shore for the past 19 years, she has built a unique connection with the local music scene and is regularly seen working with talented students from Opera Factory and Takapuna Grammar School. Gemma was the first Pettman/DARE Scholar for Music Education in 2015 which resulted in a successful internship with Opera North in Leeds, UK. Nowadays, she splits her time between full-time marketing in the healthcare sector and part-time marketing for the Lewis Eady Charitable Trust.
Covers from the Following
Popular Performers :
The Pointer Sisters
The Andrews Sisters
Miami Sound Machine
+ many more
Plus Light Opera And Show Tunes
Covers - including:
Ain't No Sunshine
Blame on The Boogie
dancing in the Street
I Can't Stand the Rain
I do I do
I Love the Nightlife
I'm So Excited
I'm Not that Kind
I'm Outta Love
It's Raining Men
I Will Survive
Knock on Wood
Let the good times Roll
Love is in the Air
Mack The Knife
Man I Feel Like a Woman
On The Radio
River Deep Mountain High
Working Nine to Five
You're still the one
• 2009 Mrs Robinson ‘The Graduate’ – Court Jesters
• 2007 Musical Director, NAPTA Concert Auckland – Northland region
• Nov – Dec 00 ‘NUNCRACKERS’
• 1994-1995 ‘JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR’
Vocal Captain / Company / Herod Girl
Harry M Miller Production
New Zealand / Australian Tour
• 1992 ‘CHESS – the musical’
New Zealand Tour
• 1988 ‘oNZtage’
Production for New Zealand Expo Commission
• 2008 ‘NUNSENSE’ Sister Robert Anne, North Shore Music Theatre
-won NAPTA Award for Best Female Actor in principal role
• 2008 ‘PUTTING IT TOGETHER’ Principal role, Auckland Music Theatre
• 2007 ‘RAGTIME’ Mother, Auckland Music Theatre
• 1998 ‘CHICAGO’ –Roxy, Auckland
• 1998 ‘GOTTA SING GOTTA DANCE III’ – Review
Musical Director and company
• 1997 ‘HELLO DOLLY’ – Principle role Dolly Levi – Auckland
• 1991 ‘HAIR’ – Principle role Sheila – St James Theatre, Auckland
• 1989 ‘SPOTLIGHT ON BROADWAY’ – company, Auckland
• 1988 ‘JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR’ – Principle role Mary, Auckland
• 1987 ‘JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR’ – Principle role Mary, Auckland
• 1986 ‘WHERE’S CHARLIE’ – Principle role Kitty, Auckland
• 1985 ‘OLIVER’ – Roseseller, Auckland
Other Professional Work
• 1999 -present Vocalist in ‘Prima’ seven piece swing band – Auckland. Gigs include weddings,
corporate functions, jazz festivals.
• 1999 Backing vocalist for ‘Elvis to the Max’, North Island
• 1993-1997 Lead vocalist in Auckland Bands ‘Big Business’ and ‘Street Car’
• 1986-1990 Vocalist for Auckland’s ‘Queen City Big Band’
• 1985-1988 Finalist in three New Zealand song writing competitions
including the PATA International Songwriting Awards
Jingle singer/voice overs for Radio and TV
Formal Music Training
• Grade 8 piano 1983 Trinity College of Music
• Grade 7 Singing 1987 Royal Schools of Music
• Grade 5 Theory 1978 Royal Schools of Music
1980 Trinity College of Music
• Singing teacher to private students 1992-present
• Teacher of Jazz vocal groups and Barbershop Quartets 1996-present
• Singing tutor Adult Community Programme UNITEC 1998-1999
• Itinerant singing teacher Secondary Schools 1995-2000
• Vocal tutor for Auckland’s “Queen City Big Band” 1996/1999
• Piano teacher 1980-1986
Recent Work History
April 05 – present HOD Drama Takapuna Grammar School
Feb 01– April 05 HOD Drama (Apr 04 -05) Assistant Teacher Music, Drama and Dance Rangitoto College
Feb 00 –Dec 00 Assistant Teacher Music and Drama Rutherford College
Feb 96 –Nov 00 Itinerant Singing Teacher Rutherford High School Rangitoto College Long Bay College (96-98)
Feb 98 – June 99 Community Singing Tutor UNITEC
2000 Auckland College of Education
Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary)
1996 Auckland Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Health Science Nursing
1993 Auckland Institute of Technology
Diploma in Nursing, Registered Nurse
1989 Christchurch Polytechnic
Broadcasting Course (Level 200)
NZ Teachers Association
Australasian Performing Rights Association
In October 2019 Jane was awarded a scroll of honour from the Variety Artists Club of NZ In recognition of her valued contributions as a celebrated singer, musical theatre performer, musical director and vocal tutor.
Yes we were most satisfied with Jane and Gemma’s performance, they were excellent, one of the best shows we have had here according to our residents. We are looking forward to the other artists we have booked through you
Poynton Village Residents Committee Event
Jane Horder Duo
Hi Robyn and Pete,
It was a superb concert on Sunday. The weather was kind and Jane and the band were so brlliant. Their professionalism showed and , of course, their musical talents, which were much appreciated by the audience.
Feedback has been very positive, and we will definitely consider booking them again in the future.
Thank you so much for being so friendly and easy to deal with in the setting up of this evening.
Chris Hagon ( Concert Organiser)
HI Robyn, yes it was a great night. Everyone enjoyed the show and are all asking when we will do it again! Suzanne and Jane did a wonderful job to cover for Ray, we hope he is ok?
See you all at the next one!! Cheers Karl
Grahamstown Bar & Diner & The Junction Hotel Accommodation
(Suzanne Lynch, Jane Horder, Mike Walker trio - 60's show)
Yes a great night out and my client very happy.
Thanks again to all,
Tom Sharplin, Suzanne Lynch, Jane Horder and the Mike Walker Trio
We were very pleased with the entertainment and your professional organization.
It all worked very well.
Hopper Developments Limited
Ray Woolf Larry Morris, Jane Horder, Mike Walker Trio
Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!. Certainly will be using them again. Everyone has been commenting on the afternoon. She has certainly got talent. He was great too.
Thank them both very much from all of us.
[powr-form-builder id="Jane Horder Enquiry"]
For free quote click on "get a quote" tab